Graduate students and researchers in astronomy are invited to attend the Summer School in Statistics for Astronomers XVI, hosted by the Penn State Center for Astrostatistics.
The summer school will be held virtually from June 1–5, 2021, just before the SCMA VII research conference. You can register for the Summer School in Statistics for Astronomers on the Center for Astrostatistics site.
Lectures and tutorials will be presented by a team of experienced professors in statistics, astronomy, computer science, and informatics. Instruction will be interspersed with hands-on analysis of astronomical data with opportunities for in-depth discussion of methodological issues.
All sessions will be presented via Zoom. The topics include:
- principles of probability and inference
- maximum likelihood estimation
- regression and model selection
- bootstrap resampling
- multivariate clustering and classification
- Bayesian analysis
- Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC)
- time series analysis
- spatial statistics
- deep learning neural networks
- machine learning with random forest